пятница, 20 июля 2012 г.

Relative values: Stephen Fry (Part 2)


After I'd left my last school, I pinched a wallet full of credit cards and went ape-shit in about five different counties. The police eventually caught up with me in Swindon. I was given two years' probation, and served a couple of months at a prison called Pucklechurch in Avon. After public school, it was a breeze. Prison turned a corner for me. I enrolled at a sixth form college in Norwich, and went on to sit the Cambridge entrance exam. I won a scholarship.
We do talk and argue all the time when we're together, but now we have quite civilised arguments about the art of science and the science of art.
I do hope he derives some enjoyment from my work. Our relationship is still spiky enough for me not to get many signs that he does. He has always worked phenomenally hard, sometimes even on Christmas Day. While he's not poor, I do feel guilty that the rewards for what I do are so much greater than his, and I'm aware of the absurdity of the recognition for flinging your face around.
It's a splendid marriage, they adore each other, and I've never known them have a cross word. I'd never had to deal with people openly rowing in public. I think sex is terribly stupid, but I now think marriage is actually rather a good idea.
He's rarely given me advice, it's mostly been by example. He is always polite to people, giving them his full attention. Both my parents have a gentleness and fundamental decency which I'm proud of.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий